Sunday 2 November 2014

You are not defined by how many likes you get on your pictures!

Hey,


So tonight I'm going to talk about something that is rather personal to me and I'm sure a lot of you too. Body image.


When I hear these two words so many horrible thoughts go through my head, negative thoughts about myself. It's a hard topic to speak about without seeming attention seeking, I completely get that, it's hard to listen to someone say this stuff and not think ugh they want attention or someone to pay them compliments and to be honest I'd probably think that, or well I would have, but not now as much.


One part of my battle is that with self esteem and poor body image. People probably think oh you post loads of selfies and outfits so clearly you don't have issues with that, again I totally get how that looks. Personally, I don't feel I have to prove myself to anyone anymore, so I'm comfortable doing these things. I post pictures whenever I'm wearing make-up and usually have a filter on them. I DO NOT ADVOCATE THE NEED TO WEAR MAKEUP BECAUSE GIRLS/BOYS YOU REALLY DO NOT NEED IT NOR DO YOU NEED TO EDIT YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS. I do it only because it's something I really struggle with and at present need to do so.


I struggle looking in mirrors, I struggle seeing what looks back at me. I don't want to say everything I dislike about how I look because that's just going to end in a flippin' self loathing negative swirl of comments and I can't be bothered with that haha! But just putting it out there for others, especially those who are younger and tend to copy those who are a bit older.


Girls, (and boys if this relates to you), you do not need to feel worthless if you don't get as many likes on your pictures. Your worth is not destined on how many instagram/facebook likes you get. If you don't have bleached blonde hair, or the most up to date GHD straighteners,  wear white chunk heels, fake tan, belly bandeau tops, have "on point" eyebrows and know how to perfectly pose in a supposedly innocent way, I salute you. If you do these things I have nothing against you, if it makes you feel happy and you love that style then go for it! I'm just generalizing this as I know so many people feel worthless because they aren't "one of those girls".


I promise you, if you wish to have pale skin. If you wish to wear vintage style. If you prefer covering yourself up. If you just cannot hack the pain of walking in heels. If you really don't want a camera in your face pouting for selfies all the time. If you would rather read a classic novel as opposed to a magazine. If you follow the Bible closer than the recent style trends. If you have no idea who Cara Delevingne actually is. If you haven't got a leather jacket, an iPhone .. in white obviously... a choker necklace, a massive bow for your hair. If you don't get over 20 likes on a picture you post on social media, if people don't comment about omw they wish they were you. If you are that person sitting at home in tears wishing that you were loved, that people noticed, that society would WAKE UP and for the love of pete realise the important things in this world!! You are amazing. You don't fit into the uniform of society's pressure? GO YOU! You want to never dye your hair well that saves money doesn't it! You study, you work hard, you maybe hate all forms of intellect and prefer manual work! YOU ARE SPECIAL. You do not in any way shape or form need to try and fit in with this trend. You are amazing as you are. It sounds so cliché but if I could maybe just make one reader realise that when an interviewer asks you in a few years what your qualities are, saying I have 300 likes on my profile picture ain't going to get you that job. Trying to desperately not let your looks fade by spending more money on make up than your child's clothes in years to come is not going to raise your family. Imagine your daughter was looking at you now, feeling that unless she spends money in topshop she isn't worthy of her place on this beautiful, challenging world. Just imagine that.


Please, I ask of you, be proud to be different. You are not defined by popularity. I am not the prettiest girl who has lived nor am I a genius, a lot of people dislike my style, I don't get hundreds of likes on my pictures on facebook, but does that make me any less of a person? Will that make me happier? No. I live my life doing what I feel is best for me, and not copying society's constant trend change.


You are you and my goodness you are amazing. If you love yourself or hate yourself, if you are extremely popular or if you go unnoticed in the corridors most days, just realise you are you and there isn't another person on this earth who could be you as well you can!


#TrueBeautyIsNotWornItIsContained


Love E x

No comments:

Post a Comment